Gianni Infantino, the president of Fifa, has indicated that he is willing to abandon the disputed idea to hold a men’s World Cup every two years.
Infantino said he would call a conference for international federations on December 20 to discuss proposals for reforming the football calendar after a meeting of the Fifa Council in Zurich. He would not promise to a vote on any suggestions, however, and stated that any changes would only be implemented if they were useful to everyone.
“The discussions around our World Cups have provoked some strong reactions,” Infantino said. “I have heard some critical comments I have heard many enthusiastic comments as well. The discussion is very different in different parts of the world. My objective is to try to bring everyone together, and we must come together.
The notion of a biannual men’s World Cup initially surfaced this year, when the Saudi Arabian Football Association requested a feasibility study from Fifa, which was agreed by a large majority of the organization’s 211 members. Plans moved rapidly, and by last month, Arsène Wenger, Fifa’s head of global football development, had presented a fully fleshed-out strategy to stakeholders.
source : Guardian sport