Emma Raducanu, the US Open champion, has withdrawn from the Kremlin Cup this month, claiming a “tournament schedule issue.”
The 18-year-old British player has only played one match since becoming an international sensation with her victory at Flushing Meadows last month, losing in the second round of the BNP Paribas Open to Aliaksandra Sasnovich.
Raducanu was scheduled to return to the court in the Kremlin Cup in Moscow, which runs from October 18 to 24.
Raducanu, on the other hand, said on Thursday that she will not be competing in the event this year and that she plans to return to the WTA Tour in the “next couple of weeks.”
“Unfortunately I’ve had to make a tournament schedule change and won’t be able to play Moscow this year, but I hope to compete there and in front of the Russian fans next year. I look forward to returning to the Tour in the next couple of weeks,” she said in a statement.
Speaking after her 6-2, 6-4 loss to Belarusian Sasnovich at Indian Wells – which came 27 days after her US Open triumph – Raducanu said she needed to “cut herself some slack” as she comes to terms with her new life as a grand slam champion.
She said: “I’m kind of glad that what happened today happened so I can learn and take it as a lesson. So going forward, I’ll just have more experienced banked. I think it’s going to take me time to adjust really to what’s going on. I mean, I’m still so new to everything. I mean, I’m 18 years old. I need to cut myself some slack.”
The world No. 22 had entered the Kremlin Cup and the Transylvania Open in her father’s homeland of Romania the following week after Indian Wells. She was also scheduled to compete in the Upper Austria Ladies Championships in Linz beginning November 6.
source : Guardian sport