Aristotle the popular philosopher once said “What is the true purpose of life, if not to live a happy life until we die?” Today this statement still holds deep meaning.
The whole essence of our existence in life is directly or indirectly geared towards living happy. We work hard to make money, build a beautiful house, buy a sleek car, acquire wealth and luxury all in the bid to live comfortable and happy.
However, these material things do not necessarily guarantee happiness if we do not incorporate the attitudes and lifestyle that should really make us happy into our daily lives.
Below are some of those lifestyle:
1. Be Yourself: If there is one trait that can really lock away your joy, its pretending to be someone else and living above your means. Everytime you have to keep struggling live up to the expectations you have created in people and maintain a superficial lifestyle which in turn builds up stress, low self esteem in you. On the outside you appear ok but inside you are dying to tear it all down and free yourself.
2. Do The Things That Make You Happy: No matter what people will say, always do the things that makes you happy and gives you inner fulfillment. Follow your dream career, marry your dream partner, dress the way that makes you happy, eat that thing that gives you joy. Just Keep doing whatever gives you inner joy and peace.
3. Choose The Right Partner: Even though happiness is a decision that must come from you, let us not ignore the fact that the people around you also greatly influences how you feel. You will also agree with me that there is no greater influence than your life partner. Marry who you love, who loves you equally and who makes you happy, this way you will always have peace.
4. Forgive And Forget: You can’t possibly talk about inner happiness without talking about forgiveness. No matter how good you are, how careful and diplomatic you choose to live your life, people will still hurt you and dissapoint you every now and then. Infact, the people you trust the most are more likely to brake your heart. Learn to forgive and forget, avoid bearing grudges, this way you always empty your mind off hate and regret which are the essential ingredients of sadness. Forgive not because of them, but for your own sake and freedom.
5. Spend Time With Loved Ones: No matter how busy you are, always find time to enjoy life with the people you love. Your husband, wife, children, siblings, mother, father, friends etc By spending time and being happy, you purge your self of accumulated stress from work and life and surround yourself with people who make you smile. Even the memories alone will keep you smiling anytime it pops up in your head.
6. Eat Healthy And Exercise: Majority of the illness we develop are from the things we put into our mouth, the fat we accumulate in our body and the stress we build up in our life. Eat balanced diet, eats fruits and vegetables, exercise regularly, sometimes instead of taking the bus, take a walk. Burn some of those fats off, give your body what it needs and not what you want. Doing these things will help you reduce stress and make you look younger than your age.
7. Avoid Overthinking: The surest way to depression and sadness is overthinking. Understandably, life is filled with problems and you are facing your fair share. However, overthinking never solves any of these problems, instead it overwhelms your thoughts and begins producing negative effect like stress, depression, addictions to drugs and alcohol etc. Suddenly you begin to age faster than normal. If you have a problem, talk to people and experts on how to fix it.
8. Give More And Help Others: The thing about being a giver and a helper is that you never know when it will come back to you. Help others when you can, give to the needy and to the ones who come running to you. A little help here and a little gift there could turn out to take away a great burden off your chest tomorrow. Give without expectations and help without seeking payback.
9. Be Contented: Satisfaction is the key to true happiness. Being thankful for both the things you have got and the ones you have not is a sure way to a worry free life. You have a roof over your head, food to eat, cloth to wear and a little money to spend, be Contented with that, a lot are struggling just to feed once and many others do not have where to sleep. Be grateful for the blessings you have and be satisfied with your achievements, no matter how little. This way you will worry less of the things you are yet to get and give room for happiness.