So you have had to endure an abusive relationship for a while and now you have had enough of it. You want to leave and start a new life but not sure how your partner (male or female) will take it and if they would come after you.
Now depending on how violent the relationship was, the revenge and crime history of your partner, and if they are willing to let you go in the first place. Here are 8 tips to help you stay safe;
1. Talk to your family and few trusted friends about it, let them give you the right motivation and emotional support you need to move on. If you have a job, inform your boss and trusted colleagues too, It may help.
2. Move in with your family or trusted friends for a while if possible, this way you will always be around people just in case.
3. If the above is not possible, rent an apartment and keep the location away from the public. Try not to live alone, one or two informed and trusted family or friend may stay with you just to have someone around you.
4. Never go out without informing your live in family or friend your whereabouts. This way they know when to expect you back and your last location if anything goes wrong.
5. If you have to meet your ex for any reason whatsoever, make sure you get to decide the location and it should be a public place like a park. You should not go alone. if you must, inform your trusted housemate.
6. Avoid the mutual friends you had with your ex as much as possible. They may be his or her source of information on you, your plans or whereabouts.
7. If possible you can get a little defense weapon like pepper spray or stun gun. Carry them with you everywhere you go, it may come handy.
8. If all the above seem not to be working, inform the local authorities about it and let them keep an eye on things as they unfold and offer any security tips that may be useful.